Thursday, June 28, 2007

A Chilling Effect On Free Speech

I fear the integrity of my blog has been compromised. My anonymity may be no more, professionally speaking. I found out that my boss has been checking on my "blogging" activities, and while I understand his concern over this during work hours, I feel this is an invasion of my personal life. Now, I'm not certain over this (because after all, who really goes on some crazy investigation to determine which blog belongs to whom?) but even the thought makes me feel like my personal diary has been published with my picture in the Los Angeles Times.

This is used as an outlet for stress and general musing. We've all been able to alleviate tension in our respective lives by being able to express whatever insights and foolishness on blogs. And for some, the anonymous nature helps us to say what we may not ordinarily say for fear of being offensive or looking stupid.

Some of us use this as apublic tool to keep friends up to date and there's no need to be anonymous. Others use this as a way of saying things they would NEVER say if their identities were known. I guess I fall somewhere in the middle. Though I don't mind if people know who I am (some do), I mind mixing my professional life with my personal life. Although it was my own fault for going online at work and allowing records to be made, it also seems a bit invasive to thoroughly examine each recorded URL and try and ferret out information on my personal life.

I have no clear answers and I'm certainly not going to examine this further. I don't even want to go there. But suffice it to say that I am not pleased with any intrusions into my personal life, and I feel somewhat indignant at the fact that I can no longer be truly free with my words. Thus, I will no longer be referring to work in my blogs. I don't want to shut this down completely, because it's such a therapeutic outlet (and dammit, you're all a great group of support!) but I'll have to filter it. And since work is often a big source of stress in all our lives, it's a shame to have to suppress my ravings!

I mean really, doesn't it suck? It's so nice to have an unfiltered forum in which to release all the stress during this time, and now it's been compromised. Nothing is ever absolutely anonymous, I guess. So guys? Be careful at work. =)

7 comments:

The Grand Poobah said...

I try not to say anything that I wouldn't say to everyone I know because there's always the risk that some of them might know and talk to each other (Imagine!).

That sometimes makes for a boring entry, but boring can be good when you're in the public forum.

Law Daze said...

Unfortunately, a workplace computer can come back to bite you, even if you strictly restrict your use to a quick email check after work or a few minutes online during your lunchbreak. Example: I entered my last post this morning -but it shows up as 9:51 p.m. last night. My previous employer allowed 'on-your-own-time use' but had a written policy similar to this:

http://www.strategichr.com/shrsweb2/internet_harrass_policy.shtml

calbar blondie said...

If you google your "handle", you'll see all your own posts, or quite a few of them, published to the world. I'd venture quite a few people who know me would figure out it was me by reading my blog. Soooo, I try not to openly diss anyone or anything. I think I dissed the tutor once, but she deserved it, and truth is the absolute defense to you-know-what.

Richard said...

Ugh that IS annoying! Ya start to find that you are almost constantly writing with that person in mind and thinking 'what would they think of X?!'

This IS a good outlet tho - it's cool to be able to communicate with people doing the same exam - very therapeutic!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm sorry to hear about that. I would die if my supervisor found out about my own blog (especially since I've dissed him on it!) but next week is my last week at work so I'm not too overly anxious. I bet that was a painfully awkward conversation though. Perhaps you could move your blog to another address to preserve your privacy and then you can distribute the new address by word of mouth?

Blonde Blogger said...

OMG, what a bummer. How did that even come up?!?! And FBE is right; painfully awkward.....no more posting at work for me!!!

Blawgin' said...

God, tell me about it. I'm so pissed...it just kind of came out as a general reference to blogs during a discussion and there was a lot of details about what I look at online, and made me feel really weird...and awkward. But you know...whatever.

Which is precisely the attitude that gets me in trouble at work!