Monday, January 08, 2007

New Year, Fresh Start

I have to take the bar exam again. And so, I find myself at Borders attempting to cram the law into my head yet again. My tutor says if we didn't start our 8-10 hours of studying per day back in December, it's too late. Hardly motivating.

I missed the first time by something like 10 points. Having gone into the third review, where someone makes a subjective determination based on my entire exam, is a mixed blessing. On one hand, I feel that since I came so close, this is attainable (but then contributes to my unmotivated state of studying). On the other hand, I'm in disbelief that some cruel bar examiner had the power to pass me, but out of spite/bad day/statistics/innate meaness decided that I should take this again. The loss of income, cost of tutoring, test, etc. goes into the tens of thousands. I mean...WOW. Thanks, buddy. That's a lot of money.

But I am not bitter. Cest la vie. I am cautiously optimistic, though what they say about second time test fear is true -- I can get away with failing once, but TWICE?! That will plummet me down so low in self-confidence that I may never pass this test. I must defeat my enemy (myself and my laziness) and perservere. I will attempt to get up earlier and study more efficiently. I'm planning on using this blog to document my journey along the way. This way, I can see how I've done.

The plan for today: At Border's. Reading through Strategies and Tips for the MBE. Concentrating on Contracts and doing flashcards for them. Going to pilates later in the afternoon, to be followed by a quick trip to the grocery store so I can make hubby and me chicken and biscuits for dinner (yes, I need comfort food). To be followed by writing an essay which I will then email to my tutor. In bed by midnight, up by 9:00. Yes, I realize that's a lot of sleep, but considering that I can easily sleep until 10:30, this is an achievement. I do not plan to let this pattern continue.

Hopefully, I can establish a healthy and study conducive routine. Routine and organization make me feel better, and since I lost 5 lbs due to the flu, I plan on continue the exercise and be mentally and physically fit for the exam come late February. Even if this test brings me down, I'm going down looking good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know about you, but I think that Strategies and Tips book for the MBE is pretty good...My scores have improved quite a lot, which is great since I failed because of the MBE. Nordie's always makes me feel better too! Good luck to you too!