Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Evidence: Offer to Pay Medical Bills/Settlements

Easy way to remember the subtle nuances of this rule. Evidence relating to the payment of settlements or of medical bills are never allowed. It’s only admissions in conjunction with these payments you have to worry about. Think of this picture to remember the rule: Imagine an Indian settlement of some sort. Then, picture a big, red plastic “X” laid over the settlement – it’s so big the Indians are tripping over it. This should remind you that admissions in conjunction with settlements are NOT admissible, and admissions with medical bills ARE.

Note: This isn’t my idea – I got it from one of my bar books. See, they can be fun, too! j/k. I know this isn’t fun, but I have to derive pleasure from whatever pitiful sources I can find.

1 comment:

Blonde Blogger said...

How sad is it that bar review books are our main source of entertainment? It won't be like this forever, right? And I would much rather study Evidence than Real Property!!