Thursday, February 07, 2008

The Year of the Rat -- Sounds Icky.

Time to rally the troops. We're all lagging on the posts here. In a stark contrast to last summer, the old group of bar bloggers have dwindled to a mere few posts a month, if that... I'm hoping that it's because we're all busy studying, but if you're anything like me, that (unfortunately) is not the case.

UGH.

There's a certain apathy that comes from this. Someone should have told me that law school is actually 4.5 years. I could blame it on the intense personal drama of the past year, but really, it's my laziness that's finally caught up to me. After a lifetime of overachieving through sheer luck and a degree of natural smarts, while deftly gauging procrastination vs. bare minimum effort, I've been found out for the fraud I actually am. I'm not a hard worker. I lack discipline. I tend to scrape by. Yes, we're all smart. At this stage, that's a given. But what separates the men from the boys now is our ability to put forth the grueling effort to surpass this. And as of yet, I haven't been able to do so.

I've taken time off of work, and excuse my few hours of studying per day by figuring that's how much the people who are working are studying, plus the mentality of "I already know this stuff."

UGH.

I am SUCH a moron. At this point, the only thing driving me is the desire to not humilate my parents and grandmother, plus the fact that I simply cannot afford NOT to pass, financially. I don't know if that's enough.

That being said, I'm remarkably sane these days. I'm going through and writing out the rules to the main topics on each subejct because I have a tendency to not be able to regurgitate the concepts even though I understand them when I'm reading them. So I try to say them out loud and write them down as a sort of cheat sheet to use before the exam. And I'm trying to boost up my MBEs. As of today, I've done about 100. This is not good.

It's crunch time.

3 comments:

Blonde Blogger said...

OMG. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Emily said...

Holy crap. I totally could have written that.

My posts have lagged partly due to guilt, and a smidge due to satanic cyber trolls who leave evil, mean totally uneccesary comments. I really don't know why or who, perhaps it is my disgusted alterego?

I have a crazy plan for the next two weeks and will be introducing myself to gruelling effort.

Ladies, may the our concerted efforts unite and fuel us! Hell, maybe we can telepathically link our brains and pool together our knowledge and skills. THat would be cool.

Anonymous said...

I've been guilty of lagging on my blog too, although I just posted a rant today about how the state bar just tried to screw me 2 weeks before the freaking bar.

I'm glad you're giving it another try. Misery loves company, right?